Sunday, February 04, 2007

 

Help! I Need a Doctor!

Bright lights glared down on my small frame. Men with needles stood poised to do their deeds. This was my first such experience and I was rather afraid. My head throbbed and blood trickled down the side of my forehead and congealed in my crew cut. All this because, earlier that day, as a daring pre-schooler, I had attempted to ride a tricycle down my grandparents’ cellar steps. My forehead now required stitches.

Though this event transpired many years ago, I still remember it vividly; my first trip to the hospital. It was both scary and comforting. It was a new experience, but everyone seemed to be kind and on my side. I don’t recall any snickers. Furthermore, I doubt that anyone was surprised that a small boy with a gash in his forehead would be in a hospital. The hospital is not where “well people” congregate. It is a place of passion and intensity where people are ministered to and given aid, so they can heal.

Churches should be like hospitals. They should be clean, efficient and healthy, but they should also be ready to admit hurting, sick and injured souls. People should know that there are places they can go when life beats them up. They should be assured that it is not hypocritical to go to church when you are experiencing trouble or when you realize you have not been living by God’s principles. If you are weary, sick or in trouble, church is just the place for you. Church is not just for the well, it is for the sick.

Jesus cleared this issue up during his time on earth. The self-righteous religious leaders of his day despised those with moral and social “issues.” Their primary goal, as “believers,” was to look holy and avoid those whose lives were “messed up.” But, Jesus had quite another approach. He was not interested in fellowshipping with those who were well or who considered themselves whole. He wanted to spend time with folks who needed his company. Matthew captured Jesus’ philosophy in this story:

Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum?”

When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’ For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” (Matthew 9:10-13 New Living Translation)

Personally, I often need a place to heal... a place to repent… a place to cry… a place to get my head straight. The services I attend are passionate and therapeutic. Sometimes church services can look more like an emergency room than a social event. I am so thankful for the many people who have lovingly helped me with my hurts throughout the years. I am glad there are Christians who maintain high living standards, yet they willingly minister to others who are finding it difficult to live a spiritually healthy life.
Our world is full of hurting people. Does your faith lead you to condemn, or does it lead you to administer first aid. If your approach is anything like Jesus’ approach, you will hold fast to your faith and extend mercy. Do what doctors do: take care or your own health, take health precautions, and then tend the sick. Make your home and your church a spiritual hospital; a healing station.

If you are currently hurting and in great spiritual need, visit your nearest spiritual healing station; find a church that thinks like Jesus thought. If it is a good spiritual hospital, you will find kind people who are on your side. No one will snicker – we all need a doctor from time to time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]