Saturday, July 18, 2009

 

Would You Answer This Personal Ad?

If you were a single young man looking for a bride, would you pursue the personal ad below?

"Lonely woman seeks hard-working, devoted and wealthy young man who will wait on her hand and foot, doing his best make life comfortable and enjoyable for her.

Appearance: Potentially attractive but unwilling to let prospective husband influence what she wears or how she appears. Chronic over-eater who enjoys a variety of unhealthy habits which will likely cause major diseases and premature death. Prefers dirty clothes, unkempt hair and minimum use of soap, deodorant, lotions and perfumes.

Talents and Goals: Very talented, but not willing to develop them due to the energy required. Looking forward to a lifestyle that includes late mornings, no domestic responsibilities, parties, extravagant vacations, and a beautiful home and car. Will expect husband to be a faithful provider, encourager, and admirer who can be understanding should extra-marital affairs be necessary to satisfy extensive needs for love and attention. Not interested in the troublesome ordeals associated with children. Ultimate goal is to be comfortable and in charge of all aspects of personal and family life.

Current situation: Recently abandoned by 23rd boyfriend. Unemployed. No educational or vocational experience. In immediate need of a place to live. Have no assets or energy to bring to the relationship.

If you are lucky enough to be reading this ad and are willing to commit your life to my happiness, please call on a Wednesday between 3 and 3:30 to schedule an appointment at a time and place which is convenient for me. "

My guess that most single young men would not even consider responding to that ad. It drips with selfishness, laziness and immaturity. An individual who would post such an ad would surely be destined for disastrous relationships.

Ironically, when I reflect on some of the prayers I have prayed, I realize that they may have sounded very much like that ad. In essence, I have sometimes appealed to the King of kings with requests and demands for my own pleasure. Crazy, huh? Maybe I mistook prayer for a way to demand my happiness. Why would God be attracted to someone who thought only of their well-being? I’ve got to stop praying those kinds of prayers.

The truth is that it is easy to let the spirit of our age influence the most important relationship in our lives. The Bible predicts a time period like ours that is marked by greed and selfishness: “… in the last days there will be very difficult times. For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!” (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NLT)

However, the Bible also predicts: “And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit…” (Acts 2:17-18 KJV)

I want to be in the latter category – full of God’s Spirit rather than full of myself. I want my prayers to consider God’s preferences and desires. I want to pray attractive prayers – the kind God would want to answer.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]