Friday, December 04, 2009

 

I Can’t Explain It

Wouldn’t it be great to have all the answers - or, at least, to have more answers than questions?  Alas, many of life’s biggest questions remain unsolved:  Where did God come from? What will the earth be like 1000 years from now?  Why can’t we all just get along? Why do bad things happen?  Why would God care about me?

Often believers are peppered with questions about their faith and about their God.  Since God is infinitely bigger, smarter, wiser and more powerful than we are, it stands to reason that there are many answers that will remain beyond our grasp.  Our small minds can explore His fathomless greatness, but we will never be able make sense of it all.  In many ways, this is a comfort, and proof that there is somebody bigger than you and I who is running this universe.  Yet, unanswered questions remain a roadblock to many would-be believers.

I heard a suggestion for those who struggle with questions about God and how He forgives sins, changes lives and does miracles.  The advice was given by Gloria Gaither who wrote the following Lyrics:

“Don't ask me to explain to you how one could start again or hardened hearts could soften like a child.  Don't ask me how to reason out the mysteries of life or how to face it's problems with a smile.  Go ask the man who's found a way to take a rose to stay when all communications were destroyed.  Go ask the child who's walking now who once was crippled and then somehow her useless legs were made to jump for joy. Go ask the one who's burned out mind has been restored - I think you'll find the questions not as important as before.

Don't ask me if He's good or bad I only know the guilt I had is gone and I can't tell you any more. Don't ask me how to prove to you why I know God is there or how I know that He would care for you. And don't ask me why someone so great would chose to walk with me and trade my broken life for one that's new. Go ask the child whose got a dad to love away the hurt he had before this man called Jesus touched their lives. Go ask the one whose fears have fled whose; churning heart was quieted when someone whispered peace to all her strive. Go ask the man to tell you more -  whose life was just a raging war in spite of self until the savior came.

I don't pretend to be so wise, I only know He touched my eyes and nothing else will ever be the same. I don't pretend to be so wise, I only know He touched my eyes and nothing else will ever be the same, and nothing else will ever be the same.” (“Go Ask”)

Gloria’s point is well-taken.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating.  Sometimes we can’t explain it, but we know it works. We’ve proven it.  It’s like my watch.  I couldn’t begin to technically explain to you how it functions, but I know it works. 

Christians are not expected to be lawyers who defend God and His principles.  Christians are witnesses, who have encountered God, and they are living proof that He changes lives.  We can’t always explain it, but neither can non-believers.  Go figure.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]