Wednesday, May 11, 2011

 

Taste and See

They said it was the best restaurant of it’s kind in the metro area. I had heard that kind of talk before. I had often been disappointed. But when we arrived, we found mobs of people who were willing to wait for at least an hour, and maybe two, just to be seated. I was beginning to believe.

Several hours later I was sampling delicious, slow cooked ribs, sausage, brisket, home made bread, and wonderful side dishes. They were right. That restaurant became one of my favorite places to eat. It was so good that I have since had their food air-mailed across the U.S.A for special occasions. I tasted. I was convinced.

You may have heard people talk about how much they love God or about how wonderful it is to filled with the Holy Spirit. You may have been cautious or even doubtful. If you take your cues from Hollywood, the Ivy League, or Washington you may even be more cynical. I don’t blame you. I’ve heard a lot of things touted as wonderful that didn’t do much for me. But, you may have noticed that people keep lining up for what God has to offer.

May I suggest a cure for curiousness? Do what the Bible suggests: “O taste and see that the Lord [our God] is good! Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who trusts and takes refuge in Him.” (Psalm 34:8 AMP) You can try it for yourself. I’m not talking about church or religion, I’m talking about an encounter with God.

I have been around church for all my life and have seen hundreds of people who were seeking true love, joy and peace. I have watched them taste and see that it’s really as good as people say. Now, not all of them value their new found joy enough to continue in that relationship, but I’ve rarely seen anyone who was truly seeking God who did not rejoice when they were finally able to break through to a genuine relationship with Him.
Allow me to recommend three ways in which I have seen many people prove God for themselves:

1. See if God answers prayer. Keep in mind that he doesn’t respond to threats or demands. But I have often witnessed very creative responses to those who have sincerely approached God and asked Him to reveal Himself to them.
2. Find some people who have found a good place to worship and tag along for a few services. Make sure the people you worship with have found more than religion. You may have to try more than one place before finding the one that is worth the extra effort.
3. When you pray or attend church, go with an open mind and an open heart. If you are not willing to really taste what God is offering, you won’t ever really know what all the fuss is about.
Who knows, next month you may be the one who is raving about how wonderful it is to be forgiven, or washed of your sins, or filled with the Holy Spirit. You may have been driving past the best place of worship in town for years. You may have had a hard time believing in God because of some of the characters who have claimed to know Him. But you wouldn’t stay away from the best restaurant in town just because some questionable patrons eat there, would you? Taste and see for yourself!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]