Saturday, September 28, 2013

 

Guilt Free - Honestly

Have you ever done something you knew was wrong even if society didn't seem to consider it wrong?  Has your conscience ever kept you up at night?  Have you ever tried to salve your conscience only to find that the guilt never goes away?  How does a person get away from that kind of guilt?  This problem is as old as mankind and it is easily solved through good, old-fashioned honesty.

Thousands of years ago King David shared great wisdom concerning this issue. He wrote, "Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!  Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!" (Psalm 32: 1-2 NLT)  After making some major blunders,  David discovered that honesty is not a constraint, rather, it is a freedom.

The powerful king learned - the hard way - what happens when we do something wrong and refuse to "fess up". He also experienced a personal breakthrough when he finally got honest with God: "When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the LORD.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. (vs 4-5)  When we offend God, He is only a prayer away.  He is much more merciful and forgiving that many people realize. 

It helps me to think of God as a coach who is trying to help me live the best life possible.  When He holds me accountable it is in my best interest.  When He is firm with me, it is His way of insuring my success.  Again, David wrote, "The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” (vs 8-9)   It would be foolish for me to ask God to help me and then ignore all of His advice, wouldn't it? Stubbornness toward God has ruined a great many wonderful lives.

Honesty really is the best policy.  It may seem like bad people get away with a lot, but they have to live with themselves.  Many people try to bury or mask their guilt by pretending there is no God and losing themselves in other pursuits.  But no one can escape God's spiritual laws. Once more, King David put it best when he wrote, "Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the LORD. So rejoice in the LORD and be glad, all you who obey him! Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure!" (vs 10)

God has always been merciful and forgiving, but when He robed Himself in flesh and lived among us, He did so to die so our sins could be expunged. That is what Calvary was about;  He paid for your sins with His own blood, so you can live guilt free - honestly!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]