Tuesday, October 08, 2013

 

Hunger is Good but Not Wise


The 16-foot hamburger laden with lettuce, tomato, pickles and cheese stared down at millions of commuters from its new perch in the middle of the city.  Sprawled in front of the tempting graphic was one word: hungry?  In the bottom corner of the billboard was the name of a restaurant.  I am guessing that advertisement caused more than one person to re-route to the suggested destination.  Restaurants everywhere are counting on  the fact that you and I get hungry on a daily basis.  The cycle can be productive : hunger motivates us to find food, food is not free, so we are motivated to work, which, in turn, makes us productive. Without hunger societies would become unproductive and  people would die from malnutrition.

In the above sense, hunger can be good.  But hunger is not wise.  A child has to be taught what kinds of things are good to eat and what kinds of things are "yucky".  Whole societies adjust their diet as they discover which foods are most nutritious.  My point is that the feeling of hunger is no proof that one should eat everything in sight --  a bicycle, paint or rocks. God did not design us to be undiscerning like goats.  We can reason, learn.  For example when we observe someone eating rotten squash and later see them in the restroom throwing up we can conclude that rotten squash is not a wise choice for satisfying our hunger. Hunger is good, but it is not wise.

This concept should be applied to the topic which has obsessed our world - love.  What many people call being in love is very likely simply love-hunger.   A feeling that you need intimacy is no evidence that the person to whom you are attracted is a good, healthy or morally acceptable choice.  The desire for love is good, but it is not wise.

I have no doubt that my personal experience had greatly influenced my views on this matter.  I needed love.  I searched until I found someone who shared my values and would be faithful in her relationship with me.  After carefully determining that my wife was not someone who would use me nor allow me to use her, I was able to enter into the best love relationship of my entire life.  I am forever indebted to parents, teachers and preachers who spoke into my life and helped me to be wise in pursuit to satisfy the love-hunger within me.  I am glad that they held me to boundaries that kept my premarital relationships courteous and respectful.  The influence of God and church taught me the dangers associated with unhealthy, emotional and sexual encounters that leave both parties unsatisfied and wounded.  I learned that my emotional needs were legitimate and good but not wise.  Wisdom came with restraint, selflessness and listening to others who had established successful relationships. 

 Love-hunger is good because it encourages people to reach out to one another.  Intimacy can be the glue that holds society together when people wisely learn from God and history, and forge long-term, mutually respectable relationships.  When God is added to the equation, His inexhaustible supply of love is released into the mix.  The end result is a love that is a safe and unconditional, and a relationship that is a million times more satisfying than a hamburger could ever be.    





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]