Saturday, October 26, 2013

 

Light


I cautiously approached the campfire, nervous about  what may happen at this nighttime  rendezvous with a religious zealot.  This could ruin me, but I was compelled.  I watched the flames stab the air and lick hungrily at the dead cedar branches his friends had dragged into the fire pit. These men were camping out - living off donations.  I had to admire them.   The flames almost seemed symbolic of the hunger I felt in my soul.

The man whose fire I was nearing had captured my attention. He spoke with authority.  He commanded disease, demons and the elements.  As I stepped into the light of his fire, He rose and we greeted one another. He introduced his friends and offered me a seat and some refreshment as we engaged in small talk. He was easier to talk to than I expected.  I was a high-ranking leader in my community, but I had requested a covert meeting for fear of what others might say.  If my cowardice was evident, He didn't let on.

I complimented Him and admitted that I believed he was sent from God.  I thought he would blush and express humility, so  His response seemed a little odd.  Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”

I was taken back and intrigued. He obviously felt it was an important point to make - or else he could see right through me.  But I wasn't sure what he meant.  I knew this must be a key concept so I asked, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"

Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit."  He probably saw the confusion in my eyes, because he went on to explain. The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

The Spirit thing sounded so powerful and wonderful.  But I didn't know if I had the courage to leave the comfort of flesh and live in the spirit.  I wanted it... but then again.  I have to admit, I didn't understand everything he was saying, but I was beginning to see His point.  We were all focused on the signs and wonders, but he was focused on eternity and saving souls... including my soul.  That is why he agreed to meet me in the dark of night. he was giving me a chance to really believe.

He went on to explain that  "God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil.  All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed.  But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.”

Jesus had me in a corner so I was forced to ask myself, "did I love darkness more than light.  Did I believe?  Down inside I was as hungry as those flames that now flickered and danced.  At the same time I was intimidated  by my family and friends and colleagues.   Was Jesus asking me why I wanted this meeting in the dark?  It almost felt like he was challenging me stand up and be a man. 

Later I understood that you can't just believe with your head. You can't just believe in a miracle worker.  You have to believe in Jesus enough to buy in with your whole life.  You've got to fear God more than man.

That meeting changed my life. Although it was an uncomfortable conversation it was a pivotal moment in my life.  I eventually found the courage to go public with my faith a little at a time.   I gave evidence in favor of Christ at the trial before Pilate. When Jesus was killed I took spices and anointed his body. Soon after Pentecost Peter and John baptized me. Because of my faith, I was eventually deprived of office and banished from Jerusalem by the hostile Jews.  I had bravely left the darkness and walked into the light.  Most of my colleagues never got it. Until you live in the spirit you can't understand it.  How about you?

 (A story from John chapter 3, from the viewpoint Nicodemus may have had)





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]