Saturday, October 31, 2015

 

Yucky


My friend watched in disgust as I pinched a large ant and a bit of dirt between my thumb and index finger, lifted it to my mouth and swallowed it whole.  I had learned to include a little dirt with the ants because it kept me from feeling the ant squirm as it made its journey down my throat.  Not too bright - but my friends were impressed.  My mom had taught me better, but everyone knows that parents don't want their kids to have any fun, right?  My mom had a track record in this area.  When I was toddler and she caught me putting rocks, sticks, dog food or food that fell in the dirt into my mouth, she would rush over,  scoop in out of my mouth and say "yucky". 

I didn't understand it then, but my mom was a smart lady.  She knew that it was dangerous for me to do everything my little heart desired.  She knew that I would feel like doing things that would hurt me or others, so she made it her mission to teach me to control my urges rather than to let my urges control me.  I was born putting things in my mouth, but she did not buy into the philosophy that my urges proved that God made me to eat rocks and ants.  "Yucky" was her way of saying, "Son, you have the power to choose; foolish people follow their urges and wise people choose to only eat what is healthy."

God is our loving, wise Father who understands the same principle.  We were born with desires and propensities that can be dangerous.  When we engage in behavior that is bad for our spiritual, emotional or physical health, He rushes to our side and says "yucky."  He says it through His Word,  through His people, and through our conscience.  He reminds us that choice is the most powerful thing He has given us.  We can choose life or death.  We can choose to trust our urges or time-proven principles.  When we resent His efforts we are like the toddler who is throwing a fit because his father took the marble out of his mouth.

Here is how it sounds in Scripture when God says "yucky":  "When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures,  idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,  envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.  But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!" (Galatians 5:19-23 NLT)  

We all have had the urge to steal, hurt someone, wallow in self-pity, or engage in harmful behaviors.  But God helps us choose wisely and rise above those base and harmful leanings.  I was not born a thief.  I was not born vengeful.  I was not born an adulterer.  Rather, I was born with a tendency toward those things, as were we all.  I am thankful that God put people in my life who helped me to understand the power of choice.  Their "yuckies" have saved me untold misery.   I am healthier because of their diligence and my subsequent choices.  That does not make me better than other people, but it does allow me to live a healthier life.  I am thankful for the many times those who cared for my said, "Yucky!"





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]