Friday, July 15, 2022

 

Organized Religion

 I don’t know if I can believe in organized sports because there have been multiple accounts in which athletes have used performance-enhancing drugs, and coaches knew about it. Besides that, team owners have been convicted of financial improprieties and coaches have been jailed for sexual abuse. Then there is the cheating, and the violence of many fans. Maybe we should all just stay home?

 

I don’t know if I can believe in organized medicine because some doctor groups have caused health care prices to go up. Then there are the many doctors who have been sued for malpractice. I have heard tell that there are hospitals being mismanaged and HR departments that have been accused of sexism and racism. Besides all that, I have had relatives who died because of poor care in the hospital. So maybe I should just stay away from organized medicine?

 

I don’t know if I can believe in organized education because it is a fact that many institutions have approved textbooks that were later proven to be inaccurate. In addition to that, millions of students get bullied at school. Then there are the teachers who have been convicted of child abuse. And we all know people who have graduated with degrees but didn’t know the material - because they had basically partied the whole time they attended, then cheated on tests. Not to mention the schools that charge for bogus degrees. So, maybe we shouldn’t do the organized education thing?

 

You get the point. It is impossible to “organize” any group of people without having some mess. Yet, when it comes to being involved in a faith-based movement, many still rely on the tired excuse, “I don’t believe in organized religion, because...” As demonstrated above, such reasoning isn’t really fair. Furthermore, for someone to think they can make it all by themselves, without any help, makes one wonder if they think they are better than all the other fallible human beings.  

 

I have never seen someone who refuses to be a part of a larger body of believers be successful in brining others to Christ without organized religion, because once they start to disciple one other person, they have just organized. Jesus did the original organizing of the church, and the Bible reveals that his leadership team was flawed. 

 

I have been part of a local church and an organization all my life. I have seen the human elements. But I have watched as God used organize believes to love others and pray miracles into existence. I don’t believe in organized religion, but I believe believers should come together in an all-out effort to take the good news to every hamlet and village. The Gospel is good news that brings peace to people’s hearts, and the challenges of working together as a large group of people are worth the risks.  






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]